Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Lhasa Apso painting I finished yesterday

Again, same old story:  This is a painting I did at the request of a customer at Portland Saturday Market. So, Dear Customer, whose name I didn't get, if this is your sweetie, I hope you like it.

I've been painting a lot!! lately, and I'm enjoying it more and more.  I haven't mentioned, I don't think, that I created a studio outside my house.  It's tiny, but I enjoy it very much - and it's great not to have all my works in progress (and those that need to be done but haven't been started!!!) right in my face all the time.  Now when I go to bed at night, I'm not tempted to jump up and rush over to the easel and make just one more tiny change in a painting.  As a consequence, I think my paintings are becoming much more fresh and not so fussy as they have been in the past.  I have a set number of hours I work in my studio every day (which I most often overrun the hours, but that's okay when I'm having so much fun), and then I can shut the door and have a normal rest of the day without having to think constantly about my work.

The studio is really a large garden shed (8x16', I think it is) that I have emptied of most everything that was in it (and either got rid of what was there or consolidated it all into another shed I have).  I've added only the essentials so far: my painting supplies, a radio, good lighting, my easels, my dog (when I'm in there), and a few reference books.  But I don't even want much in the way of reference books in there because I want to go in there and work (play???) and have as few distractions as possible.  So far, it's been working perfectly. I do still have to insulate the shed, though, because it gets pretty cold in there, and I don't want to have to run a space heater constantly in there.  Insulation costs a lot less than running a space heater constantly.


No comments: