Saturday, July 17, 2010

The good, the bad, and the kind of not so great

Well, I gave a lot of thought to leaving this one off, but I decided recently, quietly, to myself, that I am going to try to branch out a little bit and do paintings other than dogs.  I've briefly mentioned it in recent posts, in fact.  I've also decided - again - to try to do a small painting every day (except weekends, when I'm always too busy to do any painting at all).  So Thursday was my first day, actually, with the little black pug puppy - my first "daily," that is.  (I tried over a year ago with daily paintings, too, but I just wasn't ready yet.  Maybe I am now.  I think it'll be good practice.)

Yesterday, I painted this little group of flowers that I found in a neighbor's yard.  I don't know what they're called; I just thought they were pretty.  I don't think I really did them justice, but I felt, again, that if I'm really earnest about doing this painting-a-day thing, that I should list each and every one I do, even if I'm not particularly proud of it.  Even though it's not the best thing I've ever done, I did get some pleasure from painting it -- and I learned something very valuable:  painting something outside my "comfort zone" is much, much more challenging than I ever thought it would be. 

Wish me luck on my new little venture.  I don't know how long I'll make it, but I promise I will give it my very best effort one month at a time.  How about that?  One month at a time.  And I'll continue to list both the good , pretty good, and not-so-good ones, too.

No comments: