Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Rottweiler commissioned painting I did recently - with Mount Hood

Lest you think I haven't been painting lately, I truly have.  It's just been almost all commissions, which often don't appeal to much of anyone other than the pet's family member who commissioned the painting.  Here's one that I feel might have a bit more universal appeal, though:  It's a painting of a rottweiler, named Porter, whose family love the outdoors, especially being up on or around Mount Hood.  This is Porter at an area where his family like to go camping; that's Mount Hood, in the Oregon Cascade Mountains, if you're not familiar with it. 

I like this painting for a couple of reasons:  First, it's my first real landscape painting - yeah, I know, but I've been so busy with animals that I really haven't had the time to do any landscapes.  That's going to change soon, though, because I'm really, really eager to do more now that I've had a taste of it!   Secondly, I think Porter is a beauty, and I really enjoyed painting him.  Note those dark spots on his tongue.  They're not shadows but actual dark markings.  Anyway, hope you like it, too.  It was a great pleasure to paint.

2 comments:

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

gorgeous. you should definitely do more landscapes!

Dottie said...

Thank you soooooooo much! I intend to - very soon. I'm going to Crater Lake (OR) for a much-needed break and plan to take my paints. We'll see . . . wish me luck!