Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Sweet Holstein (I think) little calf painting

I just finished this little sweetie this afternoon. It was a pleasure to paint.

Sorry, I didn't take progress photos of this one.  That has turned out to be a little more difficult than I thought it would be, so I won't be doing it on every painting.  First, I lose my momentum if I stop every 15, 20, or 30 minutes to take a photograph.  Then somehow, I get the order of the photos all messed up while I'm trying to organize them.  Then I never, ever seem to have time enough to post what I've just done all that work recording.

I'll try to do it from time to time, but for me at this time, painting is much more important.  I have many images that I intend to paint, and I never seem to have enough time to do them as quickly as I would like.  I don't know how more successful people do it!  Oh, I know:  They have someone who prepares their canvases for them, does all their computer and paperwork, washes their brushes at the end of the day, etc., etc.  That last one is what gets me the most:  washing brushes.  I learned the hard way how important it is, though:  Acrylic paints are like some kind of really great glue.  And if every single molecule is not scrubbed out of every single brush, the brush is ruined -- or becomes so very quickly, anyway.  So it takes me at least 15 or 20 minutes every evening to wash my brushes.  And I paint pretty much seven days a week now, so that's a lot of time spent washing brushes!  But they cost so much, and I have favorites that I just couldn't live without, so I have to do it.

No comments: