Packing Medium to Small Boxes Only:
As mentioned before, I have numerous box sizes that I use most of the time. I try to buy the fewest box sizes possible, and when I work, I try to keep my sizes within these box sizes. The boxes I keep on hand are a few 16x12x12 for somewhat larger items. I keep lots of 14x10x8, 10x8x6, and 8x7x6. I also have much larger boxes that I use for my gallery accounts, but the one I use most is 20x16x14. Very rarely, I have to use 20x20x20, but I prefer using more 20x16x14 if I can do it. Again, I'll only cover packing the larger boxes if requested.
Single items only (or 2 small, uncomplicated pieces sometimes): I decide the box size I need (I actually have box sizes drawn onto a flat piece of wood that I pack on so I can test the piece for fit, allowing for extra space all around, of course.)
I've put a couple of inches of peanuts in the bottom of the appropriately-sized box and have wrapped the piece in 3 layers of medium weight peanuts (because my pieces are fragile and rather heavy), then have laid the piece in place, being sure no parts of the piece touch the box walls.
Then, especially for a largish, more fragile piece like this one, I add styrofoam sheets and even pieces of sheets around really fragile areas. Then I fill the rest of the way with peanuts just to the top, not over the top. I want the piece to be snugly packed not overpacked where there could be unnecessary pressure on the piece. I want snugness, not too loose, not too tight.
This is the box filled to the top, before I close it. I add my card with a handwritten message on the card.
Taping the Box (don't scrimp on tape!! )
I tape across the bottom of the box first, perpendicular to the length of the box, to hold the sides in place so I then can snugly tape the long sides in the center of the box. Then I add at each end a strip of tape across the short sides. I do this same process on both top and bottom. I always finish off taping by scraping, either with a flat edge of some kind, such as a ruler or even my fingernails to be sure the tape is secure everywhere.
Then I weigh the box, purchase a shipping label, and get it out the door! If you don't have a good scale, by the way, you can often find really nice ones someplace like Goodwill. I have multiples, a 25 lb, a 5 lb, and a 2 lb, (the 2-lb is at my work table so I can loosely measure the size of the piece of clay I need.)
This packing system works well for me, and I even get compliments from my customers in my feedback about my packing style. And fair warning, if you're anxious about having something get there in one piece, over-pack! Then you can sleep well.




No comments:
Post a Comment